Thursday, September 2, 2010

Is This It

My second review is an album that I have heard about for a long time, but finally am taking the time to listen to. This release is Is This It, by progressive metal band The Strokes.

Progressive metal has always been one of my favourite genres of music. I really love R.E.M. and Ke$ha, but I didn't know what to expect when I first put on The Strokes.

I skipped the first song as it was very slow, and must of just been a joke intro track. The second track kicked in with an awful sounding note repeating over and over. Now this is the progressive metal I've come to love. As the bass kicks in the song really gets a hit. But then the vocals come in and ruin it all. What is this? It isn't the fifties anymore, where is all the auto tune and screaming? Next...

More boring fifties sound. I know the idea is to experiment and progress, but this is just a bit too bland for the genre in my opinion.

Skipping ahead to Alone Together, I have finally found a neat riff. I believe it is on a harpsichord or mandolin... whatever the hip kids are playing on their records today. The vocalist again has no auto tune or screaming, and I just can't get into the drums. Very little blast beats.

OMG LAST NITE. This song was totally awesome. There was a guitar solo that melted my dick off. Literally. I might have to change the name of this blog to reflect my new gender.

Anyway... this was a bit too 50s and boring to be a progressive metal album. If you are into slave songs and chuck berry feel free to listen. If you are into true metal, like 3OH!3, i would steer clear of this album.

I mean... there isn't even anything on it I can dance to alone. What is the point of music if I can't let out my ponytail, and dance through my basement like a bird in the wind? All i want to do is have some fun... and I got a feeling I'm not the only one.

1/9 self-dances.

6 comments:

  1. I instantly liked the album when I first listened to it. This 50s sound as you call it can be found on every album by the Strokes and that's what I like about this band.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just don't get most of this hip new age retro music. What's the point of music that you can't dance alone to? I feel like an idiot when i'm walking down the street with my headphones on and everyone is staring at me because i'm not dancing. I love your reviews, you clearly know your music. I'd really like to see your take on my favorite singer TLC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog, check mine out! I'm following btw

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember their song "Last Night" and still love it to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FUCKING MUSIC ROCKS. HELL YEAH.

    http://www.theawesomeamazing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete